Sunday, December 17, 2017

On the 5th Day of Christmas.......

On the 5th Day of Christmas, I Give to Thee.....


FRIENDSHIP


The Merriam-Webster Diction defines friendship as:

1.  The state of being friends.

2.  The quality or state of being friendly:  friendliness.




Thinking about friendship made me remember the poem by John Donne that begins "No Man is an Island."  How true that is.  People need friends.  Whether it's a furry companion, a human companion, or one that has feathers or scales -- people are not meant to be solitary creatures.  Sure, it's nice to have time alone to reflect and think but spending time with friends feeds our soul.

Here is John Donne's poem:


No man is an island entire of itself; every man 
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; 
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe 
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as 
well as any manner of thy friends or of thine 
own were; any man's death diminishes me, 
because I am involved in mankind. 
And therefore never send to know for whom 
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. 
 
If you have a friend, you are not alone.
 
My Friendship quilt features a traditional friendship quilt block called Chimney Sweep.   I set the blocks on point for a different look.  The center of each block includes a large area for signatures or comments.


 

My challenge to you is.............to reconnect with a friend you have not seen or talked to for a long time.

1 comment:

  1. I get to see my BFF of over 40 years tomorrow. We haven't seen each other since the end of May. I'll see other friends I haven't seen since then, either, over the next week.

    ReplyDelete