Thursday, August 30, 2018

Something I Always Wanted...

This past week end, I was very excited to go to one of my favorite fun places -- Lisa's General Store (previously Lisa's Indoor Flea Market) located in Greenville, PA.  Over the years, I have found lots of different treasures, particularly quilt-related treasures -- antique and vintage quilt blocks, fabric, a blue and white double Irish Chain quilt from circa 1920 for an unbelievable price (I won't tell you because you would be so jealous!), vintage sewing boxes, etc.  Of course, there's always non-quilting stuff like books, clothing, food, and just about everything you could imagine and some things  you probably couldn't imagine.

Anyway, on Sunday, I finally found something that I have wanted for a long time and was able to bring it home!  YAY!

  

A vintage Martha Washington Sewing Cabinet!

It's not perfect and needs some TLC, but it is charming and very functional.  The two front drawers give lots of space for notions and thread -- there are even floating trays in the drawers for small stuff.  On each side on the top there is a hinged lid! When lifted up they reveal a good-sized cubby for stashing projects, materials, or snacks -- maybe chocolate.....

Of course, I did some looking online to see if I could find anything out about this particular type of stand, and was happy to find lots of photos and information.  

1). Apparently, Martha Washington did have a work table, but it looked nothing like this.  Using Martha Washington's name was an advertising ploy.

2). This type of sewing table was based on Federal style tables and became popular during the Depression years as an inexpensive piece of factory-made furniture.  You could buy one in the Sears and Roebuck catalog!

That being said, I discovered that my stand is somewhat unusual, which makes me think it was of a higher quality.  It only has 2 drawers where most of the ones I saw had 3 drawers.  It has really nice detailed metal drawer pulls instead of knobs.  AND it is on a pedestal instead of wooden legs -- and the feet of the pedestal have metal tips with disks underneath to protect the floor.

Of course, my table wouldn't be worth much to anyone but me because it has a broken foot that was 
glued.

Here are some other quilty things I found at Lisa's.  Please enjoy...... 








2 comments:

  1. What a great sewing cabinet. I've seen them before. I love to see what I can find in antique shops. Such fun, especially if something comes home with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cheryl! Like you there's nothing I enjoy more than antiquing because you never know what will follow you home. LOL!

    ReplyDelete